Wednesday 12 August 2020

Pandemic Ponderings

I've been thinking a lot about how I ended my 28th year of teaching. It was certainly a new experience-as a distance teacher.  I actually enjoyed the learning of and using of new digital tools and the communication with the families that were able to participate, were quite positive. I did not enjoy wondering how my non-participating students were doing. I usually learn so much about my students by looking into their eyes as a check-in.  For many of my students that daily check-in ended back in March. I was tired of the whole thing by June and luckily for me I still had some interested students who kept me motivated until the end of June. I really missed my colleagues too!

Now, I am wondering how I will I be able to engage my students in September? There are so many questions about how it's going to work or will it?  Sitting in rows, no sharing of resources (math manipulatives, art supplies, computers??) No rotary, clubs, most sports, singing, no socializing during recess or lunches. If they only have one teacher per day that also changes expectations. There's no variety or change so it will be a challenge. How do we help kids learn math without physically being over their shoulder when they're working on something new? Everything, from where I will eat lunch, use the washroom or even how I will drink water will require extra thinking.

 I know students will be disappointed about the lack of social interaction and the use of masks will diminish the opportunity to have meaningful discussions. The way students will learn in our COVID classes and the way I teach will be very different!  I hope I can summon the creativity to find ways to engage students. I hope we can still learn together without the interaction that we all expect and demand when learning.

Every year I learn from my students and this year will be no exception.  I am anxious to figure out the learning but I guess I will not be able to prepare ahead of time.  My teaching assignment is unknown at this time and my working conditions will be dramatically different. We will all have to learn together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment