Saturday 30 April 2016

Presenting in a Virtual Environment @otffeo


I was asked to co-present an OTF (Ontario Teachers Federation) Connects webinar.  It was quite a learning experience!  I realized that I rely a great deal on the ability to interact with my audience face to face and so presenting online using only audio features and cues stretched my presentation style.  Although I was very familiar with the material and had great confidence in my co-presenter Diana Maliszewski I was forced to step out of my comfort zone with the style of presentation. I needed to consider what and how I delivered the content knowing that people could see a static image.  I also had to remember to monitor the chat feature to communicate which can be a distraction when you are speaking.  Most participants chose to participate through chat and not the microphone  I didn't realize how much I rely on visual cues from my audience to gauge pace and interest when I present in a face-to-face setting.

Our presentation was well organized and facilitated by an expert and we completed the webinar with no technical glitches.  I thought things had gone smoothly and I was glad to see that only one participant had left the session during the 90 minutes.  


otf_connects_logo_en

No comments:

Post a Comment