Sunday 11 January 2015

Collaborating with Provincial TLs TALCO and @OSLA council

Collaborating with my colleagues in my district to create engaging and rich learning opportunities for our students is the best part of my job.  I gain enthusiasm and expertise whenever I get to co-plan with fellow teachers.

I also have the chance to learn from teacher-librarians when I  represent my local colleagues at two provincial organizations.  I am the co-chair of  TALCO  (The Association of Library Consultants and Coordinators of Ontario) This organization meets regularly to support the provinces' school libraries and the Ministry of Education draws on our expertise from time to time for input.
I am in my second of a three year term as the mid-central region council member for the OSLA (Ontario School Library Association). We work together to create resources to support and advocate for school libraries and for the teacher-librarians across the province.
The opportunity to collaborate with teacher-librarians from across the province is an honour and privilege. I love to learn from my colleagues in different English and French schools.  I also like to learn more about the diversity of the teacher-librarian role in high school and elementary schools in other districts.  Having a provincial perspective about school libraries enriches my experiences and it makes me a better leader in my own school district. This year I have had the opportunity to share some of the successes we have had in our district with the province!

The OLA plans and organizes the largest educational conference in Canada called the Super Conference. I eagerly attend as the energy generated from the learning and collaboration propels me through to the rest of the school year!

I always return from the Conference with  practical ideas and solutions.  The Together for Learning Showcase is always a highlight and a great opportunity to network with more colleagues from across Ontario.
This is an amazing time to be a teacher-librarian as we are able to support students with the integration of technology and in the development of their inquiry skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment